TTCS OSSWIN DVD - Table of Contents
- What is the TTCS OSSWIN DVD?
- Key features
- How can I get the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 1.2?
- Download the TTCS OSSWIN DVD
- Verifying checksum of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 1.2
- How to use the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 1.2
- Hardware and Software Requirements
- List of software on the DVD
- How is the TTCS involved in this project?
- What is Free and Open Source Software?
- Warranty (or lack thereof) and disclaimer of liability
- Got questions/comments/suggestions about the TTCS OSSWIN DVD?
TTCS OSSWIN DVD
Version 1.2 available March 14 2014 with 2.1GB of Free and Open Source Software including LibreOffice 4.2.2, Mozilla Firefox 27.0.1, VideoLAN 2.3.0 and more!
What is the TTCS OSSWIN DVD?
The TTCS OSSWIN DVD is a collection of nearly 100 Free and Open Source Software for home and business (i.e. any) users using the Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP operating systems.
You can use your web browser to read detailed information about each program in this compilation : what the program does, its key features, useful related websites, view a screenshot, find links to the program's website and to download/install the program from the TTCS OSSWIN DVD.
The web-based interface allows you to quickly browse the variety of software organised into the following categories:
Key features of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD
- Easy to install
- Many Free and Open Source Software for Windows are made available as ZIP files which require the user to manually extract the files to a directory and then use Windows Explorer to browse to the directory and run the program. The TTCS has created standard .EXE installers for these applications, using NSIS. This allows the user to easily install and uninstall the program.
- Easy to browse with Windows Explorer
- All of the software on the TTCS OSSWIN DVD is in the "Software" folder with subfolders for each of the categories. This makes it easy for those users who are familiar with the DVD to use Windows Explorer to browse and install software on another machine.
- Software on the DVD is up to date at time of purchase
- The TTCS OSSWIN DVD is burnt "on demand" for upcoming TTCS meetings and/or email requests to purchase the DVD. Buyers receive the most recent stable versions of the software at time of purchase.
How can I get the TTCS OSSWIN DVD?
If you have broadband access, you can download the TTCS OSSWIN DVD. If you don't have broadband access and you live in Trinidad and Tobago, you can purchase a copy of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD for $60 TT to be collected at any TTCS meetings. Also, buyers of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD will also get the latest version of Ubuntu Linux.
Please email your request to ttcsosswincd [ at ] gmail.com before the day of the meeting to ensure that the DVD would be made available for you. At this time, we do not ship DVDs outside of Trinidad and Tobago.
Primary and Secondary schools in Trinidad and Tobago can obtain a copy of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD at no cost via TTPost by emailing the Society admin[ at ]ttcsweb.org with the following information:
- The name of the school.
- The name and contact telephone number of the person(s) responsible for the computers at the school.
- The school's postal address.
Download the TTCS OSSWIN DVD
Version 1.2 of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD was created on March 14 2014 and is available for download as an .ISO file. A changelog is available. It is nearly 1.5GB in size, so this is feasible only if you have broadband.
You can download the ISO by direct download from Copy.com
You can verify that the download by verifying the checksum of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 1.2.
MD5, SHA1, SHA-256 checksum of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 1.2
TTCS OSSWIN DVD v1.2
- Date created : March 14 2014
- File name : ttcs_osswin_dvd_v1.20.iso
- File size : 2.08 GB (2,238,177,280 bytes)
- MD5 checksum : 77b8bccf 085250cf 832e7d0b 0b2ac109 / 77b8bccf085250cf832e7d0b0b2ac109
- SHA-1 : d3d8db75 6a3720e5 1f8cbdc9 abf39d3e 7062f02f / d3d8db756a3720e51f8cbdc9abf39d3e7062f02f
- SHA-256 : 587700eb caf59ac4 a84baedc 9acf7e3c bc480936 7b3f555f 6458c1fe 77342ae0 / 587700ebcaf59ac4a84baedc9acf7e3cbc4809367b3f555f6458c1fe77342ae0
Changes from v1.10 :
- removed: TuxRacer
- added: Extreme Tux Racer
- updated: LibreOffice, Gnumeric, GanttProject, Notepad++, ConvertAll, Speedcrunch, FreeCiv, Portable Puzzle Collection, Sokoban YASC, GIMP, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Filezilla 3.7.3, Miranda IM, PoptrayU, VideoLAN, Qmmp, PDFCreator, ClamWin Free Antivirus, UltraVNC, AutoHotKey
Use a program like VisualHash or WinHasher to hash your downloaded file to see if it matches the hashes here. If your downloaded file hash is different, then your downloaded file is different from the file the TTCS has published.
How to use the TTCS OSSWIN DVD 1.2
However, you can use a program like WinCDEmu to "mount" the ISO file to view and access the ISO as if it was an DVD disc in a DVD drive.
Hardware and Software Requirements for the TTCS OSSWIN DVD
This collection of Free and Open Source Software is intended for use on the following versions of Windows : Windows® 7/Vista/XP/2000.
The software on the DVD may or may not run on Windows 95/Windows 98/Windows 98SE/Windows Me or Windows NT.
The software requirements for each program/application varies but if your Windows PC is already running a program that falls in one of the categories (e.g. Desktop Applications, Graphics, Internet, etc) it can probably run the programs listed under that category.
Your computer should have these minimum system requirements:
- Windows® 8/7/Vista/XP/2000
- A 300MHz or faster Intel or AMD Athlon processor/CPU.
- 512MB or more of RAM.
- Hard drive space: 1.5GB (for installing all of the applications) plus additional space (as needed) for data.
- Video: 32MB (or higher) video card which supports Direct X 8.1 OR Direct X 9 and has OpenGl support (for the games).
- Sound: Direct X compatible sound card.
- Keyboard and mouse.
- A web browser (to view the descriptions on this DVD) preferably Mozilla Firefox with the OpenDownload extension or Internet Explorer 6.
- a DVD-ROM burner is not absolutely needed. You can use a program like WinCDEmu to "mount" the ISO without burning the ISO file to a DVD
List of software on the DVD
Below is the software on the TTCS OSSWIN DVD v1.2 created March 14 2014. Note that the TTCS OSSWIN DVD is continually maintained so DVDs bought at TTCS meetings will contain updated versions as well as possible additions/deletions from this list.
- Desktop Applications
- LibreOffice 4.2.2 free office productivity suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations) compatible with all major office suites
- AbiWord 2.8.6 Free Word processing program similiar to commercial products
- Gnumeric 1.12.9 powerful, easy to use spreadsheet
- GanttProject 2.6.5-r1638 Gantt chart based project scheduling and management tool
- Grisbi 0.9.4 personal finance manager
- 7-Zip 9.20 file archiver with high compression ratio.
- Rainlendar 0.22.1 displays skinnable calendar on your desktop
- Notepad++ 6.5.5 text editor with special features for coders
- Notepad2 4.2.25 text editor with the look and feel of Notepad but with more features
- Sumatra PDF 2.4 slim, portable, Free and Open Source Software PDF viewer for Windows.
- WinMerge 2.14.0 WinMerge is a Win32 tool for visual difference display and merging, for both files and directories.
- ConvertAll 0.6.0 Unit Conversion program
- Tomboy 1.14.0 Simple note-taking for your desktop
- Wikidpad 2.1_01 Wiki-like notebook for storing anything you can think of to write down
- TreeLine 1.4.1 store your data in a tree structure to keep things organised
- OOo4Kids 1.3 OpenOffice for kids is an office productivity suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations) designed for kids 7-12 years old based on OpenOffice.org
- GraphCalc 4.0.1 an enhanced calculator application that can solve equations
- Speedcrunch 0.11 fast, high precision and powerful desktop calculator.
- Tux Paint 0.9.21c Tux Paint is a free drawing program designed for children
- Tux Typing 2 1.8.1 "Tux Typing" is an educational typing tutor for children
- TuxMath 2.0.3 "Tux, of Math Command" is an educational typing tutor for children
- Marble 1.5.0 Virtual Desktop globe and geographical atlas ; offers viewing of OpenStreetMaps
- Celestia 1.6.1 space simulation to explore the universe in any direction
- Stellarium 0.12.4 Map the night sky on your computer
- Maxima 5.31.2 A sophisticated computer algebra system
- Childsplay 1.6 a 'suite' of educational games for young children
- The Babbleback Machine 1.0 Records and Playback voice game
- Kobo Deluxe 0.5.1 space ship "shoot-them-up" style game
- Extreme Tux Racer 0.6.0 High speed artic racing game
- FloboPuyo 0.20 Clone of the famous PuyoPuyo
- Crack Attack 1.1.14 fast-paced puzzle game inspired by the classic Super NES title Tetris Attack!
- Enigma 1.20 find and uncover pairs of stones. Based on Oxyd
- Scorched3D 43.3d turn based artillery game based on the classic DOS game Scorched Earth. Supports LAN and internet play
- Anagramarama 0.4 Create as many words from the given letters
- Neverball 1.5.4 tilt the floor to roll a ball through an obstacle course
- Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7 turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme
- FreeCiv 2.4.2 turn-based multiplayer strategy game, in which each player struggles to become the leader of a civilization
- Portable Puzzle Collection r10146 collection of small one-player puzzle games
- Sokoban YASC 1.604 Yet Another Sokoban Clone - for Windows
- Pang Zero 1.3 fast paced action game that involves popping balloons with a harpoon.
- Armagetron Advanced 0.2.8.3.2 action game modeled after the lightcycle sequence of the movie Tron ; supports multiplayer over LAN
- pouetChess 0.1.1 3D chess
- Space Invaders OpenGL 0.6.1 An OpenGL version of the classic arcade game
- LBreakout2 2.5.1 Use your paddle to aim a ball at bricks until all bricks are destroyed
- FooBillard 3.0 OpenGL-based billiards (pool) game with realistic physics, AI-player and many gametypes such as pool carambol or snooker.
- GIMP 2.8.10 bitmap editor suitable for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
- Pinta 1.4 Simple image and photo editing tool for Windows
- Blender 2.69 3D modeling, animation, rendering application
- Dia 0.97.2 A diagram creation program program similiar to "Visio"
- My Photo Index 1.24.3552 photo organiser to organise, view and share your photos
- Inkscape 0.48.4 scalable vector graphics format (SVG) drawing tool
- Mozilla Firefox 27.0.1 Award-winning Web browser that’s fast, secure, and easy to use
- Mozilla Thunderbird 24.3.0 powerful e-mail and newsgroup client.
- FileZilla 184.108.40.206 fast FTP and SFTP client
- Halite 0.3.4 download files via BitTorrent, a client file-sharing protocol created to overcome the obstacles of transferring large files over the Internet
- BlueGriffon 1.7.2 a WYSIWYG webpage editor to create/edit webpages
- HTTrack Website Copier 3.47.27 HTTrack is a free and easy-to-use offline browser utility.
- Miranda IM 0.10.21 A multi-protocol instant messenger (IM) client
- PoptrayU 5.0 Beta9 Email notifier for Windows
- Juice 2.2.2 a1 The cross-platform podcast receiver
- wxDownload Fast 0.6.0 Download manager to download files via http or ftp
- XAMPP 1.8.3 Bundled web server containing Apache, PHP, MySQL and Perl
- Sound and Video
- Audacity 2.0.5 Free audio editor and recorder
- VideoLAN 2.1.3 VLC is a multimedia player for various audio and video formats
- LMMS 0.4.15 Free music creation software
- VirtualDub 1.9.11 VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility
- MusikCube 2.0 developer milestone 3.3.2 Music "library" application similar to iTunes
- Qmmp 0.7.5 Audio Player similar to Winamp
- PDFCreator 1.7.2 easily create Adobe Acrobat® PDFs from any Windows application that can print.
- ClamWin Free AntiVirus 0.98.1 Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/
- LetMeType v1.81 helps you enter frequently-typed text strings in Windows applications
- WinDirStat 1.1.2 disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows
- InfraRecorder 0.5.3 CD/DVD burning solution for Microsoft Windows
- PathSync 0.35 an interactive directory (path) synchronizer for windows
- UltraVNC 220.127.116.11 remotely control a computer over TCP/IP
- Finestra Virtual Desktops 2.5.4501 A free, fast and feature-filled virtual desktop manager for Windows.
- Virtual Magnifying Glass 3.6 screen magnification tool for Windows
- TaskSwitchXP 2.0.11 replacement for the standard Windows XP Alt-Tab dialog
- Folder Size 2.6 adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer to show the size of folders.
- Safarp 0.5 fast alternative to the Add/Remove Control Panel applet to Win2k/XP
- WinCalendarTime 1.0 enhanced replacement for the Windows clock in the system tray
- TrueCrypt 7.1a creates on-the-fly-encrypted disk partitions (hard disk, USB flash drive)
- KeePass 2.23 a password database manager to stores your passwords securely
- AxCrypt 1.7.2976 File Encryption Software for Windows.
- WinHasher 1.6.2 Free cryptographic file hash generator for Windows
- Launchy 2.5 Keystroke Launcher for Windows
- Qliner Hotkeys 2.0.1 easily configure Windows keyboard shortcuts for programs
- Ant Renamer 2.10 makes easier the renaming of lots of files and folders by using specified settings.
- AutoHotKey_L 1.1.14.03 scripting language to automate Windows tasks
- Vital Desktop 1.42 runs screensavers in the Windows desktop.
- Drempels 1.5.0 a screensaver that can also be run in your Windows background or "desktop".
- Really Slick Screensavers 0.2 a collection of OpenGL-based screensavers
- Spirex 2.25 an OpenGL based 3D screensaver
- Run With Parameters 2.1.6 Run windows apps with parameters without using a command prompt
How is the TTCS involved in this project?
Members of the TTCS:
- Downloaded, tested/evaluated the various applications, utilities, games, etc. included in the compilation.
- Where necessary, created installers for those applications without an installer.
- Created and tested the web based user interface.
- Created a web page for each program with the program's description, its key features and related links.
- Distributes the DVDs to other members and the general public of Trinidad and Tobago.
What is Free and Open Source Software?
Free and Open Source Software is software for which the "guts" of the program can be freely downloaded and altered to suit your needs (provided you can do the programming). There are many types of Free and Open Source Software. The difference lies in the way altered versions of the software can be distributed, so, if you customise the software for your own needs, then decide to distribute it, you may be bound by specific terms.
Many Free and Open Source Software projects make ready to install executable versions for various operating systems including Windows.
You can do the following with Free and Open Source Software :
- Install the software on any number of machines in any environment (home or commercial) without purchasing licence fees for each machine.
- Obtain and modify the source code and distribute modified versions of the program together with the modified source code. Free and Open Source Software licenses differ in how such source code can be distributed or licensed for others to also do what you have done.
Here are several links for you to learn more about Free and Open Source Software :
- The Open Source Definition Published by the Open Source Initiative (OSI) organisation. It lists the criteria by which software can be considered "open source" software.
- The Free Software Definition - "Free software" as defined by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). The word "free" refers to freedom, not price.
- Why "Free Software" is better than "Open Source". While "free software" meets the definition of open source software, not all open source software meets the free software definition.
- FLOSS Concept Booklet.
Warranty (or lack thereof) and disclaimer of liability
Disclaimer of Warranties:
- There is no warranty for the software included on this DVD.
- The programs may or may not work as expected/described.
- The programs on this disk are distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
No liability for consequential damages:
In no event shall the producers and distributors of this DVD be liable for any damages whatsoever (including without limitation, special, incidental, consequential, or indirect damages for personal injury, loss of business profits, business interruption, loss of business information or any other pecuniary loss) arising out of the use of or inability to use the software included on this DVD.
In other words, you the end-user(s) (person/persons who install/use the software) agrees to accept ALL risk and liability associated with using the software. Should anything go wrong, the end user agrees to accept full/100 percent responsibilty for the actual incident and any related consequences arising out of the incident.
DO NOT blame anyone else!
Copyright and License
The web based interface for the TTCS OSSWIN DVD v1.2 (the work), is copyrighted by the Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS) and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Licence which allows you to give/lend/copy/distribute this DVD to anyone under the conditions of the Creative Commons license.
Every one of the Free and Open Source Software applications on the TTCS OSSWIN DVD is governed by its own licence.